Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Vegetarian Edition

Saravana Palace, South Indian
11725 Lee Hwy  Fairfax, VA 22030


Aloo Tikki Chaat
If you are a vegetarian, and in the mood for some Indian food, there aren’t many options in the Washington DC region. Among the limited choices, Saravana Palace is one of the few that exclusively serves Indian vegetarian food.
What’s unique about this place is its wide-ranging menu of vegetarian dishes, especially the “fast foods” from India. While they certainly cater to those craving Chole Bhatura, bhel puri, uttapam, masala dosa, idli wada, pao bhaji, I am afraid it may not meet your expectations if you have ever had the chance to sample such food in India.
Chole Bhatura

I tried several dishes during my visit to Saravana Palace. The aloo tikki chaat - comprised of small potato cutlets served on a bed of chick peas mixed in yoghurt, and a tangy tamarind date sauce, garnished with cilantro and onions. 

Though I didn't try it myself, according to my friend Debasree, the tikkis were a little too dense and dry, and the sauces didn’t help in masking the dryness .Their popular dish, Chole Bhatura - fried bread served with spicy chick peas was edible but not especially memorable. 

There were also several Indo-Chinese dishes on the menu that are not commonly served in many Indian restaurants. The Gobi Manchurian crispy cauliflower cooked in a spicy Chinese sauce although somewhat chunky, was the best of the three entrees I tried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and then try the dishes out in my kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.