Friday, September 27, 2013

Salmon quiche

Cuisine: French/Southern American

My ex-roommate from Roanoake instilled in me an appreciation for Southern cooking. She introduced me to quiche, that can be quite expensive if you choose to have it in a cafe, but surprisingly easy to make it at home, if you have all the ingredients.

I modified it a bit to suit my taste....and made a salmon quiche. If you are vegetarian, you can make a vegetarian quiche without salmon.

Basic Ingredients (2-4 servings)
4 eggs
1/4 pound wild caught salmon cut into small cubes
Ready-made Pie crust
1/2 cup mozarella cheese (you can also add cheddar cheese instead of mozarella)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups half and half milk
2 cods of crushed garlic
Finely chopped 1/2 cup spinach
1/4d piece of finely chopped onion
1/4 piece of finely chopped tomato
1 teaspoon salt (alter to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Optional Ingredients (2-4 servings)

Oregano, basil to taste
1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup Goat cheese

Step 1
Break the eggs into a large bowl and add the three types of cheese and milk.
Step 2
Add the remaining ingredients including salmon, veggies, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Mix them well and set aside.


Step 3

After allowing the frozen pie-crust to thaw for an hour and a half, set it in a baking dish, greased with butter.

Step 4 
Pour the mixture into the pan, as shown below.

Step 5
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F ( C) and bake it for 40-45 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and experience different cuisines, and then try the dishes out in my own kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.