Sunday, July 13, 2014

Supper Club of India

Fish Amritsari with chutney
I recently visited the Supper Club of India, located in Herndon, Virginia.  It does not have a particularly fancy ambience but I was very impressed with the quality of food. Most of India's regions were given some degree of representation on the menu.

Many of the dishes are not very commonly offered by Indian restaurants in the DC region,  including chicken kolhapuri (a spicy speciality from Maharastra), Vindaloo (a vinegar-based specialty from Goa) and non-vegetarian delicacies included Lobster Nizam and chicken chettinad, which are unique to southern India. The prices were reasonable relative to other Indian restaurants in Northern Virginia.


Shrimp curry, chicken chettinad and rice
I tried their chicken chettinad, madras shrimp, and fish amritsari. Although I thought the chicken chettinad tasted more like the Goan chicken xacuti, I certainly did not mind the latter. The shrimp was prepared in a coconut based curry that went well  with the rice.

Another interesting feature of this restaurant's menu were the many dishes prepared with phall -- the "hottest curry in the world". These curries are made from Bhut Jalokia, or ghost peppers, which originated in Assam, a state in northeast India. I did not think I could handle the spice levels, but if you think you can, this is the restaurant you will want to visit to test what your taste buds are made of. However, even for those with nothing to prove, the rest of the menu has enough to ensure that you will not regret the trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and then try the dishes out in my kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.