Saturday, July 12, 2014

North Indian fare in South Goa


Chicken legs stuffed with minced meat
If you are in South Goa and have an appetite for the north indian cuisine, here are a few suggestions. 


Tavir in Margao city is a great option and one of my favorite restaurants in Margao city. While it's menu borrows from the entire subcontinent, their comparative advantage probably lies in their North Indian dishes. I tried their kababs, chicken legs (tangdi chicken) stuffed with minced meat, and butter chicken. All were well above average. 

Many of the three-star and five-star restaurants have a buffet option with a wide variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian north indian items.
Pao bhaji at Tato's
I tried the buffet at Taj Exotica's Marble Arch. If you are not a big fan of Goan cuisine, this might be your best bet given the sheer variety of dishes on its menu. It is certainly good enough to justify the (not low) price. 

There are few exclusively vegetarian options in Goa. Those with an aversion to meat might consider visiting Cafe Tato (in Margao and Panaji), a fast food chain whose menu is very diverse with respect to casual Indian dishes on offer. These include sukhi bhaji, pao bhaji, chole bhature, vegetable cutlets, as well as a vegetarian thali.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and then try the dishes out in my kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.