Sunday, July 27, 2014

Kalpasi - The full Chettinad experience in Virginia

Fish curry with appam
Kalpasi 
13055, Worldgate Drive
Herndon, Virginia, 20170

When I arrived in the United States, going out to an Indian restaurant carried with it expectations of butter chicken or paneer butter masala.


However, the opportunities for Americans to experience the more authentic regional cuisines in the Washington DC metropolitan area are increasing. Kalpasi, newly opened in Herndon, Virginia, is indicative of this trend. The menu is largely comprised of Chettinad,  a particularly spicy variance to southern Indian cuisine.
Dry mutton
Among the main courses, I tried their tangy and spicy fish curry served with Appam, South Indian pancakes made from fermented rice batter as well as their dry goat. Both dishes were very good. Those interested in the full Chettinad experience may also want to consider  their house-made paratha. I tried it with their king fish curry and it was delicious.

The prices were very reasonable given the quality of the food, though, at the end of the meal, we wished the portion sizes had been larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and then try the dishes out in my kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.