Sunday, July 2, 2017

Los Angeles - a destination for ethnic food lovers

Taquitos in avocado sauce at Olvera street
We recently spent a long weekend in Los Angeles. If you are fan of different ethnic cuisines, LA's various ethnic enclaves offer a variety of options.

We tried several dishes ranging from sushi, Korean soups, biryani to curries. While none of it was something I had not eaten before, when you try these dishes in places that primarily serve a native audience, you can be assured that the food is authentic.In Little Bangladesh, for example, one restaurant featured Bengali sweets like kheer kadam which are typically not found even in some of the Bangladeshi restaurants I have visited.

The ubiquitous Mexican food was a complete delight. From mom-and-pop shops to up-scale chains, this city has it all. I tried some dishes for the first time, like flautas, taquitos in avocado sauce at the popular Olvera Street, and experienced guacamole being made fresh at my table at Rosa Mexicano. And the fact that you can have a wholesome meal for less than $10 certainly adds to the feel-good factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and experience different cuisines, and then try the dishes out in my own kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.