Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Afghan cuisine - Panjshir

Chicken and mushroom curry/Zardach and lamb quorma
Panjshir, Afghan cuisine
924 West Broad Street, Falls Church, VA 22046

Muntoo (beef dumplings)
Before I visited Panjshir, I associated Afghan cuisine with kababs. I love kababs but find them a bit dry. But Panjshir's menu is surprisingly diverse. I especially enjoyed the curries, which are served with rice. I have tried their chicken curry with light spices and mushrooms and lamb quorma (lamb with Afghan prunes, walnuts and spices).

We also tried their chicken kababs and muntoo (beef dumplings with meat sauce and yoghurt) . The  menu features a large number of other meat entrees, mostly lamb and beef.

If you are vegetarian, they have some great dishes too. We tried their zardach as a side (slices of fresh carrots cooked with seeded afghan prunes, walnuts, and chickpeas, topped with tomato sauce).

On the whole, the food is delicious and not spicy. The ambience is cosy. If I were pick one fault, it would be the lack of choice in poultry dishes. There are only two chicken dishes on their menu (which I absolutely loved). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and experience different cuisines, and then try the dishes out in my own kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.