Sunday, June 4, 2017

West African cuisine - Appioo African Bar Grill

Appioo African Bar Grill,
1924, 9th St NW,
Washington DC, 20001

We recently visited Appioo African Bar Grill, a Ghanian restaurant in downtown DC. It was my first experience with west African cuisine so i may not be the best judge of its authenticity but I loved it!

 My personal favorite were their plantains (Kelewele) - which were well executed and had a very nice ginger flavor . We also tried their Appioo chicken wings with a spicy sauce, Jollof rice (Ghanaian rice cooked in a tomato sauce) with goat, and Komi Ke Kenan (fermented corn and cassava dough dumpling with chicken). I would imagine the food would be perceived to be a bit spicy for a western palate but, in my opinion, it was one of the best meals I have had - with just the right blend of spices.  There was a lot of meat on the menu. Although I did not try any of those dishes. if you are a fan of spicy stews, they would be worth trying them.

The ambiance was at best modest but the prices were very reasonable. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and then try the dishes out in my kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.