Saturday, January 11, 2014

Small Countries, Big Flavor

Kottu Roti and Fish Curry
Shakthi, South Asian Cuisine
3807 Mount Vernon Avenue
Alexandria, VA, 22301

This newly opened restaurant in Northern Virginia is one of the only places in the DC region that offers Sri Lankan cuisine. Their menu also includes Indian and Thai dishes.

My last experience with Sri Lankan cuisine was at Sigiri in New York city. Shakthi did not have everything Sigiri offered. The ommission of the Dutch influenced Chicken Lamprais was especially disappointing, though I was told it would be added to the menu at a later date.

On a positive note, I did have the chance to try chicken Kottu Roti, a popular Sri-Lankan street dish, for the first time. It is cooked with chopped roti made of white flour and stir-fried with veggies and chicken.

Their fish curry was a bit watery but was otherwise decent. However, I did not think salmon was the right choice of fish for a South Asian curry. The rolls stuffed with goat meat and potato that we tried as an appetizer were better. They were moderately spicy and went well with the chutney.


Fried chicken momos with chutney
Momos Nepalese Food,
6304 Springfield Plaza
Springfield, VA 22150

If you are in mood to try some "momos" (spicy dumplings), Momos Nepalese Food is a good place to visit. This is a small-take out establishment in a strip-mall in Springfield. It is reasonable-priced. Their menu includes fried/steamed vegetable and chicken momos served with a delicious tomato-based chutney. I also enjoyed their goat curry and butter chicken. Definitiely worth the trip, despite the inconvenient location.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and then try the dishes out in my kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.