Sunday, April 27, 2014

Brief reviews of 88 China & Woo Lae Oak


Chilli Fish
88 China,
Chantilly

One of my favorite local Chinese restaurants is China Star, located in Fairfax, Virginia. We recently went to 88 China in Chantilly, whose management used to run China Star. This new establishment serves similar fair for a very decent price. 88 China specializes in a particularly spicy take on Szechwan cuisine. We tried their Chilli fish and crispy duck. The duck was served with a tangy and spicy sauce. They also provide complementary boiled peanuts as an appetizer. Highly recommended if you miss the old China Star.

Chicken and veggies being barbecued

Woo Lae Oak, Korean Barbecue
Leesburg Pike, Vienna, VA

My trip to Woo Lae Oak served as my first experience with Korean barbecue. The meal began with fried calamari and cucumber kimchi. The kimchi was spicy and perhaps an acquired taste. We were not particularly fond of it. The calamari was bland, which was mitigated somewhat by a spicy side sauce.

Korean Kimchi




We opted for the platter of four types of meat : chicken, shrimp, scallop, pork and beef. This item was priced at $56 but was intended to be shared by two. The meats were marinated and barbecued at our table. Several types of vegetables were served on the side along with fresh lettuce, a bean sauce, and sticky rice.

My bottom line is that this was not an experience I would go out of my way to repeat, though I can see how it could appeal to lovers of red meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and then try the dishes out in my kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.