Saturday, November 23, 2013

C'est la vie!

Mushroom crepe
L'Auberge Chez Francois, French
332, Springdale Road
Great Falls, VA

Located in the woods of Great Falls, this family-run French restaurant, is one of the finest in the DC region.

Mussels
I will confess that when I saw the cost of a Norwegian salmon priced at $80, I experienced sticker shock. However, that was alleviated by the realization that for that price came an appetizer, entree, salad and a dessert. The fixed price menu is not intended for casual dining, but marks the restaurant as a destination for special occasions. The menu also benefits from its diversity. It includes proteins suitable for just about any non-vegetarian diet - seafood, duck, and red meats such as lamb, pork, beef, and deer.

Before our appetizers arrived, we were served a basket of garlic and whole wheat bread accompanied by a cheese and chive dip. A peas soup was the chef's selection for the amouse bouse.

This was followed by two appetizers. One was a mushroom crêpe with chives, and a tomato concassé. The other was a plate of mussels flavored with garlic herb butter. Although a bit too buttery for my taste, the appetizers were just substantial enough to be satisfying while not spoiling the customers' appetites. 


Maine lobster
A homemade apple cider sorbet was served just before the entree to cleanse the palate. By the time we were served our main dishes, my expectations were high. Thankfully, I was not disappointed. Both the dishes - poached Maine lobster and the roasted quail with medium cooked venison tasted as good as they looked.

For dessert, we were served a maple tulip shell with a variety of homemade ice cream & sorbet. This was a perfect end to a perfect meal.

My father always said that the recipe to good life was good food eaten in good company. C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was started by Uma Kelekar to express her love for food.

My photo
I like to visit local ethnic restaurants in Northern Virginia and then try the dishes out in my kitchen. I started this blog to express my love for food.